Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Day 3 - Tuesday, August 4































Lazy day!

We took our time leaving Teslin this morning, so we headed to Whitehorse at 10am. The drive was great, with very few cars and we got here one hour and half later.






Whitehorse is a very cute city. It is on the way to Dawnson City and saw the biggest development in the end of the 1800s because of the gold rush.




























Many of the buildings are old and have lots of character. The city is home for just over 24 thousand people. It reminds me a lot of Yellowknife, but Whitehorse is different. It is more touristic, because of the location (on the way to Alaska) and maybe it's historic importance. Therefore it looks prettier, but I still love the Northwest Territories' capital.




We spent the day walking around the city (as you can see on the photos), and the highlight was lunch at the Klondike Rib and Salmon BBQ. Located in the oldest operating business building in the city, this restaurant opened in 1889 offers seafood, prime rib, and northern specialties, such as muskox, caribou, and bison. Mike had the caribou burger and I enjoyed the delicious special: smoked salmon with ceasar salad. YUMMY!!!! Side note for Jessica, from City TV Calgary: I have been thinking of you so much here!!! And guess what? While I was in heaven eating my succulent salmon they were playing the "Solar" Eclipse of the Heart!!! In haven twice!!!


Mike is feeling a bit sick today, so I did most of the walk by myself. Another fun place was the Midnight Sun Cafe, that I heard so much about. I was expecting a big cafe with may people inside sipping their cappuccino or mocha with beans from all over the world, but instead, it was a corner in the back of a bike shop. I had a green tea, chatted a bit with the waitress who told me that the place is famous because it's owner "a very well-know and liberal person in the city." Too bad I didn't have a chance to meet her!

Day 3 balance

Kms: 184

Hours in the car: 1 hour and half

Animals: none :(

From to: Teslin to Whitehorse

2 comments:

  1. ahhh Gabi thanks so much for that pic with the thong! You know how to keep a girls heart racing! keep it comin!
    haha no seriously your pics are amazing! so glad to see you guys are enjoying yourselves. Total eclipse of the heart is clearly a sign from the universe- you are on the right path. This morning was lonely without you!!!!
    Keep posting, I love to see your adventure unfolding! Hope Mike feels better!
    Love Jess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ai que massaaaaa!!! to adorando as fotos... lindas.. saudades de vcs!! beijus

    ReplyDelete