Sunday, February 21, 2010

Game Over!

That's it! Our military exercise is coming to an end. For us it means going home and enjoying our summer soon, somewhere safe in Canada. But for those 3000 soldiers that we met during this intense experience it means leaving their families behind, getting in a plane and moving their lives to one of the most dangerous places on earth for at least seven months.


Why would anyone choose that? I guess each military person going over would have a different answer. But if I had to guess, I would say because of passion. We all have beliefs that drive us to do whatever we do. Some are more motivated, some are more passive, but we all desire to do something that satisfies us.

Well, there was not one soldier who I talked to here that didn't believe in the cause. Fighting out there, or providing any kind of service or expertise to live up to Canadian values is a good reason to go, I guess.

I still can't make up my mind about this war, especially about the troops withdrawing next year. And that's not the point that I want to make here, because who cares what I think about it? But I do want to share the experiences I had the opportunity to live here as a journalist, as a student, as a person.

The military opened its door to us and for three weeks I felt like a kid in a candy store. I've learned so much about this world that I tried to avoid for so long and it was not as scary as I thought it would be, although I still think it is not for me. I understand it better and I am grateful for it. That's all.

I must register here how lucky I am to be part of this group. I enjoyed hanging out with every single person in our team, and I am extremely grateful for the level of professionalism and commitment of our instructors Jensen, Paul and Mike. Thank you Evan and Courtney for your great help and long hours. Tom and Sharon, thanks for putting up with us! And finally, a big thank you to all the 'kids' for making me laugh so much! Here they are: Bowman (my wonderful partner. Go GABO Go!), Jill, Jason, Teri, Justin, Chris and Helen.

I hope one day we can all meet again and laugh even more!!!!

Good luck to all the deployed soldiers out there!








This is for our friend Daniel, from the "American Crew". Thanks all of them for being so patient with us. we had a good time hanging out with you as well!!!



Laundry, the last thing to do before leaving; getting rid of the desrty dust!!! Here, Chris and Jill. 


C O M I N G  U P:  crazy stories from Las Vegas.
A group of journalists hit the sin city after three weeks without alcohol!
I would not miss it!!!   :)

3 comments:

  1. I must say I'm surprised by the realism of all this. I swear any of those pictures could've been taken from this part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best blog ever!
    Can't wait for Las Vegas pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three weeks without alcohol... boohoohoo.

    ReplyDelete