Thursday, September 3, 2015

September 1 - Trip to P.E.I.



The Shoe Tree, a peculiar piece of rural art on the side of route 915.


Along the route 114, there is the Old Bank of New Brunswick.

SOURCE: http://museumsofsoutheasternnewbrunswick.ca

Originally a branch of the Bank of New Brunswick, this magnificent building tells of the changing economy of its area. A beautiful outdoor extension is the Shipyard Park, on Mary’s Point Road, at Harvey. The Albert County Heritage Trust also interprets the Sawmill Creek covered bridge.




On the main floor, the small museum recreates the office, and upstairs, there is the apartment where the bank manager used to live in the late 1800s.


Here is the baby room.



My father was an engineer building roads and I was born and grew up on an island, a combination that might explain my fascination with bridges. They connect people and places, they facilitate travelling, they are magnificent pieces of engineering... and they are just beautiful.  
To me the Confederation Bridge connecting New Brunswick to P.E.I. was the highlight of the trip today. The bridge opened in 1997 is 13 kilometres long - the longest in Canada.


Less than an hour after we crossed the bridge we arrived at our newest address: South Rustico, P.E.I. For the next five days we will stay in this amazing little cottage, facing the bay.


I have a feeling we will be just fine for the next few days!!!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment