Friday, April 23, 2010

Aracaju, I can't believe I am finally here! (April 20)

Here I am!
My first day in the capital of Sergipe State was super busy. I visited lots of places and interviewed many people. Everyone is extremely nice and there is no formality. Before I came here I was trying to do some production by phone and e-mail, with no success. I was actually getting frustrated. But now I understand why. There is no need for pre-production, because people here just don't work like that. You show up and if they are there, they talk to you. I have to say that I also have a wonderful contact here who has made my life much easier. Simone is the director of the MOPS (a movement for popular health) and has been an angel taking me to the right places and people.
FROM WIKIPEDIA: Aracaju is the capital of the State of Sergipe, Brazil, located in the northeastern part of the country, about 350 km (217 mi) north of Salvado. It has a population of circa 505,286 inhabitants, which represents approximately 33% of the state population. The coast of Aracaju has many unspoiled beaches, such as the ones in Santa Luzia Island, and urban beaches, such as the Atalaia. These coastal neighborhoods include playgrounds, squares, football, volleyball, and basketball fields, residential buildings, bars, nightclubs, restaurants, banks and hotels.
Aracaju, one of the first cities to be planned in Brazil, was built with the intention of becoming the state capital. Founded in 1855, the capital of Sergipe.

The MOPS has a little store at the main marked downtown. They sell products made during their courses about how to manipulate natural plants. The Albano Franco market has a whole section with stores selling herbs and natural products.
This is one of the poorest areas in Brazil, as you can see in this market.
Many stores sell used shoes, and display them like they are new.


A boy (perhaps a 12 year old) sews a broken soccer ball. In a place where money is always short and it is not even enough to buy basic food, fixing things is a way to go. From electronics to clothes, they fix everything. Nothing is wasted.
Seafood is the main dish here.

Crabs are the most popular seafood in Aracaju.

Fruits and vegetables are also in abundance here.
Local farmers sell their products at this market. The quality is amazing!

This part sells meat, displayed here on tables, not refrigerated. Outside the temperature is over 30 degrees Celsius and makes you think how fresh this food is. But that doesn't seem to be a problem to locals.

Back to the fruits... Yummy... they are always fresh and tasty!
You can find dozens of fruits that you've never heard of!
Simone, my hostess show me the cheese from the sertao, a dry area, a starting a couple of hours away from the coast, to the interior. For those who are interested to see what kind of life this people have there, I recommend two great Brazilian movies: the Oscar nominated Central Station (available in any Blockbuster store) and Me You Then (also not too hard to find).

On the other side of the market a large area is dedicated to the medicinal plants and herbs. There isn't an official number about the use of this alternative medicine in the state, but health workers estimate that over 90% of the population use some kind of natural products regularly against illnesses.


There is a herb for pretty much every decease.

A very much needed stop for lunch.
Simone took me to a restaurant in the market and suggested their Moqueca de Peixe (fish stew).
It was absolutely fabulous. the best part is to know that it is cooked with all natural ingredients. All fresh!

Fruit juices are also extremely popular here. I finally tried the mangaba (a fruit) juice. I have no idea what mangaba looks like, but the juice is very good! A jar of it costs about CAN$ 2.

I met a few people who sells natural products. They work like a pharmacist, suggesting plants to many different problems. While I was talking to Reizinho, the president of the market shop owners, we were interrupted every couple of minutes with people looking for many kinds of plants for different kinds of illnesses.

In the end of the day I was invited to be part of a very popular radio show at Radio Cultura. They heard I was from Canada and was here to collect material for a story. Its funny to see this exchange. They think I am as interesting to them with my "international experience" as they are to me. I did the interview, but I felt a bit strange. I really don't think I have anything interesting to say, compared to what they have to offer to me.

When I thought I was ready to go to bed after this exciting and exhausting day, Rita and Carlos took me out to eat Crab at the Passarela do Carangueijo (Crab Path), a fancy road along the beach with packed restaurants and bars.
Apparently locals eat crab before they hit the nightclubs. Cashew nuts sellers are everywhere here.

And since tomorrow is a holiday here, the place was super busy!

My lovely hosts Carlos and Rita.

And my lovely dinner: Crabs!

The meat is good, but I am not sure if it is worth the work.
You need to bang it with a wood hammer, break the poor thing in many pieces, get dirty for a tiny little piece of meat. But, oh well, when in Rome...

I also tried "Lambreta", a kind of mussel.... and raw oysters.

It was a lot of fun!
We got home at 2am!
I am heading to Salvador tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment