Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Heading south to sunny Miami... ALONE!

I am not very good with selfies

“YES! I AM GOING TO MIAMI TO BE ALONE!”
I think most moms understand how I feel. As much as we love our children, and partners, we often miss our individuality and the time we used to just pack up and go. Perhaps not all moms, but certainly me. 
Travelling is one of my favourite things, and I love exploring the world with the girls (who BTW are wonderful travelling companions) and Mike, but I am super excited to do something alone for 5 days. 
For 5 days, I will eat what I want and when I want. I will go to bed and wake up when I want - no cuddles, though :(. I will visit art galleries, museums, and see street art without worrying  that “it’s too much.” I will not worry about anyone else, but myself - although I can’t really stop myself from calling back home and checking on the girls once a day at least.  
It took me 9 years to realize I desperately needed a “momcation” - a ridiculous term for moms going on vacations without their family. Still, it’s never too late. 
I am not going to hide that this is also a searching trip, as I now realize my children are getting older (they will be 7 and 9 this year) and I need to figure out what I want to do with myself in this new phase of our lives. I feel like the hurricane had passed, but the sun has come out. I see palm trees, a beautiful white sand beach and a calming sunset. A perfect scenario for self-rediscovery. 
At the end of the day, I am not quiet sure what I am going to find… really. At least, I hope to have some fun. :)

Downtown Toronto

FLIGHT DELAYED ONE HOUR AND HALF
Tip to passengers: I know you paid lots of money for your plane ticket and you want to be comfortable, as much as possible, while seated like sardines in a tight space. Me too! As we are all have the same goal - to get to our destination -, please try be kind to other passengers who boarded just behind you and can’t find any space on the top compartment to put their carry on bags. Backpacks and jackets can go under the front seat. Leave space for the small suit cases on top. Again, we are all in the same boat, - I mean, plane - so if you don’t do your part, we’ll be all be stuck inside the aircraft and NOBODY goes anywhere. Thanks for your cooperation. 
PS 1. I was one of the “volunteers” who had to stay longer at the Miami airport because my carry on bag had to be checked, delaying the plane. 
PS 2. I am pretty sure if people had collaborated with the flight attendants, all bags would’ve fitted.
PS 3. Yes, some folks… you missed an opportunity to be civilized. 

HOTELS “MANDATORY BS FEE”
I am overall happy with my hotel choice. The 3-starts Hotel President is in an excellent location - on Collins Ave, super close to the beach - the building looks welcoming, clean and the room looks great. The staff is nice, so far. Although this is exactly what I wanted, I have to register here my surprise when I got an email few days ago informing me I needed to pay a “mandatory resort fee” of $20 a day. What is that????
I travel quiet a lot and have never heard of such a mandatory fee. I understand if the hotel charges extra for EXTRA services like laundry, room service or massage, for example. But to charge for towels? Breakfast, when it was advertised as “included” when I booked the room online? Or water bottles, where I can drink from the tap? Wi-Fi in 2020?
Apparently this is a “Florida thing,” as I found out talking to friends about it. I just call it “sneaky, Florida hotels.” It would’ve been much more honest if you have charged me $20 more per room/night, instead of surprising me with your “mandatory BS fee.” 

FROM WIKIPEDIA : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resort_fee
RESORT FEE
In the United States there is no specific legislation that either allows or outlaws undisclosed fees, such as resort fees. 
In 1997 some resort hotels began to charge mandatory fees, regardless of which facilities were actually used by the guest.This enables the hotel to advertise a cheaper room rate, making up the balance from the mandatory fee.
Resort fees originated in North America. Though mostly found in tourist destinations in the United States, some resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean now also charge resort fees. A handful of hotels in Canada have also recently taken up the practice.
Resort fees are most prevalent in tourist locations and are usually seen as a nuisance by travelers. They  also affect international tourists who are unfamiliar with the breakdown of a US hotel bill and may not speak English.
Resort fees are also commonly located in tourist areas, where there is collusion, and every hotel decides to charge resort fees. Currently, resort fees apply to all 62,000 rooms on the Las Vegas Strip. Resort fees, along with the recent introduction parking charges (neither of which are typically charged at the numerous alternative gaming locations in the United States), are believed to be a major cause of a reduction in tourism to Las Vegas.
Resort fees are not found just at resorts. Many budget hotels also charge resort fees. The Days Inn in Miami Beach, the Super 8 in Las Vegas and the Hotel Pennsylvania in New York City are all two star hotels that charge resort fees.
New York City has seen a surge in hotel resort fees. In New York City the fees are often called destination fees, facility fees or amenity fees. There were 15 hotels in New York City with resort fees in 2016. In 2018 there were 84.

  
RANTING DONE. 
BACK TO FUN.
I made a friend at the airport, a woman from Sweden, and we shared a taxi to South Beach. I think it will actually be hard to be alone here.
It's 23 degrees Celsius and people are hanging out outside. 
I think I will like this place. :)
Good night.

1 comment:

  1. so far everything you are up to,looks amazing, I can see myself being there too
    Enjoy every minute
    love
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete