Monday, May 10, 2010

This adventure is over! (May 3)

THANK GOD, IT IS OVER!!!! :)

I am glad I made it back home safely after SIX weeks on the road!
It is nice to see Mike, his family and friends. I also have a sense of accomplishment, since I've got all the material I was looking for to do a couple of stories.

Let me explain what I went to do in Campinas, Sao Paulo State...
I shot a documentary on the first gay school of Brazil. It is a place where people (homosexuals or not) can learn more about gay culture, without judgment. Because I was shooting the whole time, I could not take pictures, but my new video camera (I love it!!!) takes still photos while filming.
Here are some of the characters...

Andre Fisher is the owner and editor of Junior Magazine, a very popular Brazilian publication for gays. He was very kind to do a last minute interview for me in Sao Paulo.
Already in Campinas... Here is Father Trasferetti, also known as "Padre das bixas (the Priest of fags)".
A few years ago, he used to strongly advocate to bring homosexuals into the Catholic church.
He believes that there is no reason to discriminate against gays.
His church used to be wide open for anybody, regardless of sex orientation.

Going through a transformation...

Chesler is about to become Lohren Beauty, a very popular Drag Queen in Campinas.

There she is.
 Lohren is very popular among the gay youth in the city. She hangs out with them Friday nights in the main square and listens to their stories.  Some of them are very scary and sad reports.

A reminder of the desire to go back home on a shirt of a stranger.

Deco Ribeiro is the director of the gay school that offers classes - like dancing, web TV and magazine writing- every Saturday. The school opened on March and it is already a reference for the gay community in Campinas. Deco is also a journalist, an university professor and an activist for gay rights.

Students learn dance moves with teacher transvestite Bruna.

It was a crazy weekend! I had to film different things, like a mass on the other side of the city.
It was just too much for one person, with no budget.
I enjoyed the story, but I am glad it is over and I made it back in one piece and with all the equipment.
I ended up, of course, at a gay nightclub, filming drag queens shows.
Thank you Lohren and Deco and all the people in Campinas that helped me in such a cool project.

No comments:

Post a Comment