Friday, April 23, 2010

In the air again! (Monday, April 19)

After 4 weeks, my vacation in the south with family and friends is over. Early in the morning I caught a flight to Brasilia, the capital of Brazil, heading to Aracaju, Northeast, where I am working on a radio piece and researching for my masters program, that will begin in September. I wish I could visit Brasilia again, but I had a little taste of it at its airport. FROM WIKIPEDIA: Brasília (Portuguese pronunciation: is the capital of Brazil. The city and its District are located in the Central-West region of the country, along a plateau known as Planalto Central. It has a population of about 2,557,000 (3,599,000 in the metropolitan area) as of the 2008 IBGE estimate, making it the fourth largest city in Brazil, ahead of Belo Horizonte and Fortaleza . However, as a metropolitan area, it ranks lower at sixth. It is listed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Brasília hosts 91 foreign embassies.
The city is a world reference for urban planning. The locating of residential buildings around expansive urban areas, of building the city around large avenues and dividing it into sectors, has sparked a debate and reflection on life in big cities in the 20th century. The city's planned design included specific areas for almost everything, including accommodation, Hotel Sectors North and South. However, new areas are now being developed as locations for hotels, such as the Hotels and Tourism Sector North, located on the shores of Lake Paranoá.
The city was planned and developed in 1956 with Lúcio Costa as the principal urban planner and Oscar Niemeyer as the principal architect. In 1960, it formally became Brazil's national capital. When seen from above, the main planned part of the city's shape resembles an airplane or a butterfly. The city is commonly referred to as Capital Federal, or simply BSB.People from the city of Brasília are known as brasilienses or candangos.

It seems like Brasilia has Brazilian's largest concentration of people in suits!

From the plane I could see the most famous part of Brasilia, where the government is, or the "control of the airplane."

From Brasilia, my plane did a connection in Salvador, in Bahia State. This is a beautiful city, with a extremely rich African culture. This area is where everything started in 1500, when the Portuguese arrived to this land.

After 8 hours, I finally arrived in Aracaju, the capital of Sergipe. This is where I will spend the next week, researching and writing about popular medicine, a very strong and important practise here.
The meeting with my very good friend Rita. We met for the first time in Toronto at Sheridan College and since then we share not only a beautiful friendship, but lots of experience. She's taught me a lot and her passion for people's struggles and successes has brought me here. I thank Rita and her family (Carlos, Ravi e Dona Soccorro) for being so kind to me in this powerful land. My dad always says I've "got the star," meaning I am lucky. On the day I got here, Dona Josefa da Guia, one of the biggest popular "doctors" in this state was visiting the capital. I immediately took the opportunity to see and talk to her for my radio piece. I can say a lot about this inspiring character, but I will make it short: she can't read or write, but has delivered more than 5 thousand babies. For the people of her community, - two hours away from the nearest real doctor - most of the time, Josefa da Guia is the only option for cure, with her plants and prayers. Unbelievable power! This is going to be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment